Friday, October 22, 2010

Autism

      Having a child with Aspergers Syndrome is really challenging sometimes. We can have many "good" days were the biggest issue we have is Isaiah sending too many emails out to friends and family or calling Grandma or Aunt Jamie over and over until they talk to him. Those days are tolerable. Then there are days that turn into horrific moments when there is nothing I can do to calm him down or distract him from his fits. Today was one of those days. 
       This morning started out early for us. Every so often Isaiah has a breakfast date with his friend Mrs. Robinson, a fifth grade teacher at Timberland. In order for him to have this date we need to leave the house 15-20 mins earlier than our normal schedule. Isaiah will not let us dilly dally on these days. OH MY GOODNESS! He was up, dressed and ready to go by 6:15. Since we didn't have to leave until 6:55, he had 40 mins to start stressing that we were going to be late. So he recalculated our schedule so he wouldn't miss breakfast and told me that we had to drop him off at school first. That was not going to happen, but once he put it in his mind there was no changing it. We left on time and because I had to get gas we had to take a different route to drop Alex off at school. OH MY GOODNESS. He had a complete and utter melt down. There was no getting him out of it. He literally threw a fit for thirty mins in the car. Once we got to school...he stopped. Because I made it there with three mins to spare everything that had tilted off his "axis" suddenly righted itself and he did a 180 and was fine. 
     I know that this is "normal" Aspergers and that all children in the Autism Spectrum have similar moments. That does not negate the fact that every time Isaiah has an "episode" of this magnitude that I don't walk away feeling emotionally drained. I understand that because he is high functioning there are parents out there with harder issues to deal with. I am not disputing that at all. I just feel overwhelmed with this responsibility of dealing with a child with special needs. I don't know sometimes if I can do it. WHEW! 
     Sorry for the rambling...I am tired and need to start working on my Study guide for my mid term. I am going to go take a shower....wash the morning out of my system...and start fresh...probably with a cup of coffee! 
     *HUGS*




"When you feel like giving up, remember why you held on for so long in the first place."
~ Unknown

2 comments:

  1. Awww...I feel for you! You can do it though! You are a strong woman and a great mom!! There are days were I want to give it all away to someone else and then the next day something awesome happens and I remember why God gave me these children and responsibilities!! Love you and keep your chin up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...I heart you Gabby...this is why you are my best friend!

    ReplyDelete